Friday, September 28, 2012

NYC

I was in New York for a long weekend last week, both upstate for a wedding and the city afterwards. What a town-incredible energy.
Rush hour in NYC is crazier than London or Paris-and Grand Central seems to be the hub of the frenzy. I huddled in a corner off the sidewalk and tried to capture the melee but my sketch doesn't come close!  I was intrigued by the elevated overpass with the stream of yellow cabs feeding the commuter swarm.

Skyscrapers on 5th ave. the older one on the left looked like it had been sliced in half at some point with arches visible in the cross-section.
I couldn't not draw The Statue of Liberty! I thought I'd sketch a view rarely seen -her behind! (Plus it allowed me to skip the face and draw her faster).  Just as I was waiting for some interesting tourists to stray into view these monks showed up-they were thoroughly modern monks; posing for pictures on their smart-phones, smoking even-surely not Buddhists!

This poor soul was ranting in the middle of the sidewalk and plainly had a beef with someone but he was raging at nobody that I could see.  Earlier in the day I saw him amiably chatting to someone-don't piss off New Yorkers!

Here's an impression of Times Sq. with all the characters I encountered over the weekend.  Spot the pickle!


5 comments:

Quentin Lebegue said...

Great stuff !

Ashley Boddy said...

Loving the Times Sq./New York meele of the last image

Matt Jones said...

Hey, thanks fellas!

Matthew Cruickshank said...

Thumbs up!

Anonymous said...

I love the way you sketch urban landscapes! cool stuff